Students are expected to cultivate habits of regular and punctual attendance. School attendance is mandatory for all students up to age 18. Should a student fail to clear an absence within 48 hours, he/she will be given the appropriate number of detentions or Saturday school detentions. Calling the school or providing a note will clear the truancy and the assigned consequences with in the 48 hour period. Parents are expected to report any absences to the attendance office on the day of the absence. To report an absence, please use the attendance feature in your parent square account or call: (530) 621-4003 and press 1 for attendance.
Three Ways to Clear an Absence:
- Call the attendance office on the day of the absence (621-4003, press 1)
State your name, your student’s name, the date(s) of the absence, and the reason for the absence.
- Write a note with the same information as above. Make sure your student gives the note to the attendance clerk on the day they return.
- When the school’s automatic dialer, Parent Square, calls your home, respond to the message with the same information as above (parent/guardian only).
Check-in Policy: Students arriving late to school MUST check-in through the Attendance Office with a note from a parent. Absences not cleared within 48 hours will be subject to discipline for truancy. Absences cannot be cleared after 48 hours and will reflect a truancy on the student record for the remainder of the year.
Check-out Policy: Students who need to leave school early must check out through the attendance office with a note from a parent. Leaving campus without properly checking out will result in a detention. Note: Students are not allowed in the parking lot at any time unless they are leaving campus with an early dismissal. Being in the parking lot without a pass granted by the assistant principals’ office will result in being searched and a Saturday school.
Hall Sweeps: Hall sweeps are conducted unannounced on a regular basis. Students that are picked up in the sweeps will receive administrative detentions regardless of previous tardy history.
Note: students who are continually tardy, truant or picked up in hall sweeps are subject to SARB and or a behavior hearing that may result in a transfer from UMHS to an alternative site. In addition other consequences for multiple tardies and truants may include: Saturday schools, principal conference or suspensions. Please be on time to every class every day.
Eighteen Year Old Absence Excuses: When a student reaches the age of 18, he/she may request from their assistant principal the privilege of clearing legally excused absences. Eighteen year old students must call the attendance office any day they are absent to clear their absence. Should a student’s attendance become irregular, the privilege of writing one’s own excuse will be revoked.
Excusable Absences: Parents or guardians can clear a student’s absence for the following reasons. There is a 48 hour window to clear all absences or absences turn into truancies. A student’s absence shall be excused for the following reasons:
- Personal illness
- Quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer.
- Medical/dental Appointments
- Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family
- Jury duty in the manner provided by law.
- The illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child to whom the student is the custodial parent.
- Upon advance written request by the parent/guardian and approval of the principal or designee, justifiable personal reasons, including:
- Appearance in court.
- Attendance at a funeral service.
- Observation of a holiday or ceremony of his/her religion.
- Attendance at religious retreats for no more than 4 hours during a semester.
- Employment interview or conference.
- Attendance at an educational conference on the legislative or judicial process offered by
- Participation in religious exercises or to receive moral and religious instruction in accordance with district policy.)The student shall be excused for this purpose on no more than 4 school days per month.
Makeup work: A total of two school days will be allowed to make up each day of excused absence. Students absent due to school sponsored activities may be required by a teacher to make up work before the absence. A student who is absent on the day of a test may be required to take the test on the day of his/her return. If the absence falls on the day of an assignment due date that was known in advance by the student, the student may be required to submit the assignment on the day of the return. If sufficient makeup time is not possible at the grading period, the teacher may issue an “I” (Incomplete) grade. The student has a maximum of two weeks after the grading period to complete all incomplete assignments.
A truancy or “cut” is an absence from class without proper permission. Detentions or Saturday Schools are assigned for each “cut” from class or for the entire day absence. A student will also be assigned one additional hour of detention for leaving campus without checking out through the attendance office prior to leaving. See attendance section for detailed information.
Truancy and Homework Policy: Students who miss schoolwork because of truancy or other deliberate actions should not expect to receive credit for the time missed, nor should they expect the opportunity to take any missed tests for credit.
UMHS has an automated phone/email system, Parent Square, to notify student, parents/ guardian of absences. UMHS must have a current home telephone number on file. When the automated attendance caller calls, students need to write down the recorded absences to verify with their teachers any possible marking errors and clear within 48 hours. Thank you for your cooperation in keeping our attendance data accurate.